Tuesday 21 December 2010

A LONG (sorry) Note on Language-Learning

Among the many things I've learned (about Germany and Germans, the U.S. and Americans, and myself) so far during my year abroad is that I am NOT a quick study when it comes to learning languages. I am hesitant to speak out in foreign language classes for fear of sounding infantile; I am easily frustrated when I encounter a word in a piece of German text that I should know but don't (or worse: have forgotten); and I cringe at the thought of engaging native German speakers in conversation and exposing the inequity that exists between their mastery of both German and English and my slim grasp of German. I find learning languages difficult and stressful and generally quite unpleasant. BUT: I am trying. And so should you.

The U.S. is a rarity for its lack of emphasis on bilingualism. Granted, there is a much greater motivation (oftentimes a necessity) for someone living in Germany or France or the U.K. to learn a language other than their own native tongue; geographically, they are situated closely to other nations wherein foreign languages are spoken. In contrast, the U.S. exists as an enormous expanse of land wherein a vast majority of its population speaks the same language. A UMass student could depart Amherst by car, and driving thousands of miles to the west coast, never encounter a language other than English throughout the whole trip. A German student, however, would encounter a different language quite quickly, and in any direction, after endeavoring upon the same road trip. Europeans are surrounded on all sides by ethnically distinct nations, enabling a rich exposure to a number of cultures, peoples and their languages.

I have frequently felt embarrassed during my time abroad at my lack of language skills in comparison to students from most other countries. Only recently have I developed a healthier attitude toward my foreign language deficiencies, and accepted the national, geographical and cultural contexts for what I had previously considered personal ignorance. Regardless of whether you know only one language or a dozen, trying to learn a foreign language, albeit challenging and frustrating and occasionally embarrassing, is an experience that everyone should attempt. It will better-acquaint you with the machinations of your own language, will put you into contact with interesting new people, will give you new perspectives on the experiences of foreigners and immigrants (an ever-growing demographic) in your own home country, and will lead you to cultural discoveries from which you can draw for the rest of your life.

Learning a foreign language is also a lot of work. Tedious memorization. Grueling grammatical exercises. Repetition. Repetition. If I were to relive the semesters I spent at UMass before coming to Heidelberg, one thing I would definitely change is my attitude towards and my dedication to my German language classes. If you are considering studying abroad anywhere, do yourself the favor of familiarizing yourself with the language. If you are hoping to take classes at the university level in the language of your study abroad nation (a goal to which everyone should aspire), you should study the language as much as possible before boarding your plane to wherever. I bought a German coloring book, flipped distractedly through some vocabulary flashcards, and bought (but never opened) the German translation of the first Harry Potter. I should have done a LOT more preparatory work! With more serious pre-study-abroad-language-study, I would surely have avoided some awkward social slip-ups and, more importantly, may have given myself a basis that would have allowed me to take literature and art history courses in German, which would probably be more satisfying and interesting than the language courses I am in now. While I am thoroughly satisfied with my course schedule, there were some awesome course offerings in German that I had to pass up because I knew I wasn't ready for the level of German language proficiency expected of their participants. An entire seminar dedicated to Picasso! A seminar on Medieval altarpieces! I'm looking forward to next semester, when I will attempt to participate in one or two art history seminars entirely in German. I'm a bit anxious, but also excited!

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to take your language learning seriously before arriving in your host country. Don't be lazy and function under the illusion that you can "pick it up" once you are there. Prepare intensely and seriously beforehand, and give yourself a solid foundation that will allow advanced language study or, even better, specialized coursework in the field of your major, when you have arrived in your host country.

Here are some potential avenues of study to pursue before your time abroad:
1) Listen to language-learning podcasts or stream German radio programs from the Internet.
2) Use flashcards to expand your vocabulary.
3) Find children's books or young adult novels in German.
4) Subscribe to Deutsch Perfekt, a magazine designed for students of German (it's quite good, and engineered to be useful to people from a range of proficiencies).
5) Practice speaking German! In class, with friends, at every possible opportunity.

Again: study study study study. You'll thank yourself when you are in Heidelberg, taking awesome German courses and conversing with cool German students.

No comments:

Post a Comment